Incident Report, November 3rd 2001

Patient name: Jane Doe (real name unknown)

Staff on ward during incident:

Incident details:

Patient "Jane Doe" was discovered in the early hours of November 1st 2001. Staff Nurse Ray Yue found the patient motionless, propped up against the exterior wall of the hospital, holding no identification. Our immediate concern was that she was dead due to hypothermia or cardiogenic shock, as a pulse was not initially detected, but this was ostensibly due to the cold weather. It is unclear how long Doe had been left outside. Nurse Yue discovered Doe while ending his shift and leaving via the front entrance of the hospital, and immediately called for a triage team, who arrived promptly and transported Doe to a trauma unit, where primary tests were performed.

The initial blood pressure was recorded as 60/20 and Doe was treated for hypotension via IV after blood was drawn for a full toxicity screening, the results of which were negative. The patient was still mostly unresponsive at this point but appeared to be conscious and her pupils responded to stimuli. Initial diagnosis was stroke, possibly induced by physical trauma, and a CT scan was approved but ultimately was not performed.

Jane Doe was undeniably disfigured, likely by the third party who left her outside the hospital. We believe the damage to her face had been inflicted by surgical tools, rendering her skin heavily scarred and tight against her underlying facial structure.

One member of staff candidly described her disturbing appearance as that of a "botched facelift" while another nurse was deeply upset, referring to her face as a "plastic woman mask" and she refused to remain in the room. These testimonies are noted here as they serve to illustrate the kind of structural damage we witnessed.

Further scarring to the patient's hands and forearms was observed, but no other trauma was present. The lack of bruising seemed to indicate the trauma had been endured several weeks, perhaps months, prior to her admittance. There was also no indication of recent sexual assault, such as bruising on the inner thighs or tearing of vaginal tissue, nor was any scarring found to indicate past sexual assault, but we cannot entirely rule this out.

The patient's blood pressure was successfully raised to 90/40, where it stabilised, and Doe was moved to another ward once the initial threat of death had passed. We attempted to close Doe's eyes but they would always immediately open again, an effect we believe to be caused by the scarring. Frequent eye drops were to be administered in order to mitigate any optical trauma.

Despite occasional seemingly erratic eye movement, no direct response to stimuli other than pupil dilation was ever recorded from the patient. Two attending nurses, including nurse Zoe Withers, have stated that Jane Doe's eyes were "following" them as they performed their rounds, but all attempts to communicate using this eye movement were ultimately a failure and we thus still considered Doe unresponsive.

At approximately 3:30AM, Nurse Withers entered the patient's ward to administer eye drops but found the bed empty. Withers informed myself and Dr. Don Heath, who informed security, and the grounds were searched by three security personnel but Doe was unable to be located. Head of security Desmond East requested all hospital security footage from midnight November 1st to the current time, then approximately 3:45AM.

VHS tapes of the trauma room, ward, and other relevant locations within the hospital delineate the events as stated above - the footage of Nurse Yue performing the initial "blood draw" is particularly illuminating - corroborating the testimony of each member of staff given during and immediately following the incident. Despite clear views of the patient's position within each room, at no time was Jane Doe visible on the recordings.

Dr. Sharon Shipman, MD.